Pam Hillman ~ How Her Novella Stealing Jake Became a Full Length Book  

Posted by: Lynnette Bonner in ,
Bookmark and Share

When Livy O'Brien spies a young boy jostling a man walking along the boardwalk, she recognizes the act for what it is. After all, she used to be known as Light-fingered Livy. But that was before she put her past behind her and moved to the growing town of Chestnut, Illinois, where she's helping to run an orphanage. Now she'll do almost anything to protect the street kids like herself.

Sheriff's deputy Jake Russell had no idea what he was in for when he ran into Livy--literally--while chasing down a pickpocket. With a rash of robberies and a growing number of street kids in town--as well as a loan on the family farm that needs to be paid off--Jake doesn't have time to pursue a girl. Still, he can't seem to get Livy out of his mind. He wants to get to know her better . . . but Livy isn't willing to trust any man, especially not a lawman.

Interwoven throughout is a group of street kids arrested in Chicago and sold as child labor. Leading this band of ragamuffins is young Luke, a scared, determined orphan intent on rescuing his little brother at any cost.

Jake and Livy’s story started out as a novella proposal for Tyndale House Publishers several years ago, but didn’t make the cut. In hindsight, I think we can all agree that this was a good thing! I liked the premise so much that I revised it, working with the story until I had a full-length novel.

As a novella, Stealing Jake was a light-hearted love story of a former pickpocket and sheriff’s deputy sparring with (and against!) each other and ultimately falling in love. But as I built it into a full-length novel, it evolved into so much more. The gritty world of coal mining worked its way into Jake’s past, and the even grittier world of street kids in the late 1800’s into Livy’s traumatic past. And along the way, a kid named Luke took hold of my heart and wouldn’t let go.

The manuscript garnered several awards, and the attention of a few editors, but something was lacking. I knew what it was: Luke’s story. But I was afraid I couldn’t weave scenes in from his point-of-view in seamlessly. But his story, and that of his friends, demanded to be told. Finally, one night at the ACFW conference in 2008, romantic suspense author Robin Caroll helped me brainstorm ways to weave Luke into the story. I think she (Robin) was tired of hearing me gripe about it!

I loved the results, and the revised version went on to final in the 2011 RWA Golden Heart contest before being contracted by Tyndale House as one of the launch books for their Digital First Initiative program.

To celebrate the release of Stealing Jake, I’m giving away a Kindle. Deadline to enter the contest is September 30th. Go to my website for more information.

You can read more about the book on Amazon or CBD.

Award-winning author Pam Hillman writes inspirational fiction set in the turbulent times of the American West and the Gilded Age. Her debut book, Stealing Jake, won the American Christian Fiction Writer’s Genesis contest and was a finalist in Romance Writers of America’s prestigious Golden Heart contest. She lives in Mississippi with her husband and family.


Connect with Pam on the web:

This entry was posted on Monday, August 15, 2011 and is filed under , . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

5 comments

Lynnette, thank you for inviting me to your home on the web.

Nice comfy place you have here!!!

Pam, Thanks for dropping by to share your writing journey with us! I started Stealing Jake the other night and so far I'm really enjoying it. :)

It sounds like a great story. The 'rescuing kids' angle tugs at my heart!

I know, Sylvia. And like I explained in my blog post, I wrote the story of the hero and heroine, and just briefly touched on the street kids' plight.

But all these wrenching scenes just kept coming to me.

And I'd whine to my friend Robin.

And then I'd get another scene idea for those kids.

And I'd whine some more.

I think she threatened me with bodily harm if I didn't add their story to Jake & Livy's! lol

Pam I am so glad you wrote a full length book an novella would not have done justice to this story. As it is I wanted more and still want more (can I almost say I demand more of their story)
It was a moving story in so many ways and very thought provoking.

Post a Comment